Health Insurance Reviews

Health

Insurance

Reviews

Blue Cross Blue Shield Arizona Health Insurance Review

I am a healthy 28 year old male and I currently have my health insurance in Arizona through Blue Cross/Blue Shield. As a teacher I have several insurance coverage options from Blue Cross/Blue Shield. I ultimately choose to pay a little more for the PPN plan because I don't need a referral from my primary doctor in order to see a specialist.

I am very happy with the benefits that I have received from my plan however the plan would be cost prohibitive for a person trying to pay for the premiums out of pocket. I currently have the family plan which costs about $20,000 per year. My employer pays 90% of the cost and I am responsible for the other 10% which ends up costing me about $2,000 each year. One great benefit of my plan is that even though the premiums are a bit high, I never have to meet a deductible before my plan starts paying out. There is a co-pay though, which is $15 for an office visit and $7 for each prescription. The most money that I have ever had to pay out of pocket was when I took a trip to the emergency room and the co-pay was $25 dollars which is still pretty cheap. It is also worth noting that even for expensive procedures and surgeries I am still only responsible for the same low co-pay.

The only problem that I have ever had with my insurance company was when my son got a concussion in Scottsdale and had to ride in an ambulance. A few weeks later I received a bill for $648 from the ambulance company. Blue Cross said that they did not deal directly with that ambulance company but that the maximum allowed amount for his ambulance ride was $232 and they would mail me the check for that amount. This was very scary for me because it left me $416 to pay out of pocket. After much complaining and negotiating I was eventually able to convince the ambulance company to accept the $232 as payment in full, so it all worked out in the end.

There are a few other options and benefits available with my insurance plan. In addition to providing medical coverage, my plan also includes vision coverage as well. Dental coverage is not included but is available for an extra cost. The cost for family dental coverage is a little over $500 for each year and my employer will not reimburse me. The dental coverage has a lot of restrictions such as a $1,000 yearly limit and a $50 deductible. Based on the premium cost and the restrictions I choose not to carry dental coverage.

I hope that you can see from my review that the PPN insurance plan offered by BlueCross Blue Shield is effective and easy to use. I would highly recommend this type of plan to anyone who has the option through work. It would also make a great plan for small business owners who have the money available to pay the premiums.



Insert your Blue Cross Blue Shield review here:

Do you have a review of Blue Cross Blue Shield health insurance that you would like to submit to be published on our website? Please send it to use at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. . Blue Cross Blue Shield health insurance reviews will be posted as they are submitted.

For any questions about Blue Cross Blue Shield insurance, deductibles, co-pay, or any other health insurance related questions, please email us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. . Or you can call us toll free at 1-877-698-6645 to speak with a health insurance specialist who can answer any questions you may have about Blue Cross Blue Shield or any other question about health insurance.




Scroll Up